Sid Waddell

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
M H
Site Admin

Re: Sid Waddell

Post by M H » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:13 pm

As I said the title Lakeside Champion was also worthless and Taylor was without doubt the best on the planet. Apart from the one week Hankey was sublime and that week would have beat Taylor as well in my opinion.

But only that week
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Doubt Ted with his 92 average would have bothered Taylor at any point in 2000.
Taylor was playing unbelievable darts around that time.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:25 pm

M H wrote:As I said the title Lakeshite Champion was also worthless and Taylor was without doubt the best on the planet. Apart from the one week Hankey was sublime and that week would have beat Taylor as well in my opinion.

But only that week
I don't think Ted would have stood a chance. Ted only averaged above 95 once on his way to winning Lakeside 2000. His win over Mason was very impressive, the rest of his performances were solid, nothing more.

Taylor averaged well over the ton mark in every single game of the 2000 PDC Worlds. The exception being the final where he averaged a solid 94, and beat Dennis quite comfortably (it was the first PDC event I ever watched) Even then, his average was higher than what Ted averaged in his final.
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:33 pm

Ted had far too many poor visits to put Taylor under pressure.
I'd listen to an argument for barney in 03 or Fordham the year he won as Taylor wasn't great by his standards.
I hear people say Walton but Taylor was untouchable in 2001.

dartvader

Post by dartvader » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:56 pm

Come on now everyone knows Tony David and John Walton would have smashed Taylor over 13 sets...or so I've heard.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:59 pm

dartvader wrote:Come on now everyone knows Tony David and John Walton would have smashed Taylor over 13 sets...or so I've heard.
13 sets is the key.
Ted could never sustain the required level for that long.
As for the other two........

dartvader

Post by dartvader » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:01 pm

Randall wrote:
dartvader wrote:Come on now everyone knows Tony David and John Walton would have smashed Taylor over 13 sets...or so I've heard.
13 sets is the key.
Hankey played well for one game 17 years ago the rest of his opposition that year were dreadful that's how he wiped them all out with 92 averages. Never has any other major title win been so overrated.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:07 pm

dartvader wrote:
Randall wrote:
13 sets is the key.
Hankey played well for one game 17 years ago the rest of his opposition that year were dreadful that's how he wiped them all out with 92 averages. Never has any other major title win been so overrated.
Only mason chucked anything back at him.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:09 pm

To be fair to Ted he did maintain a 98 average for nine sets, once, against mason, in 20 odd years.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:12 pm

Randall wrote:To be fair to Ted he did maintain a 98 average for nine sets, once, against mason, in 20 odd years.
Also managed to fall asleep in an upright position in Wolverhampton. Has to be one the the most memorable moments in darts
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:14 pm

M H wrote:
Randall wrote:To be fair to Ted he did maintain a 98 average for nine sets, once, against mason, in 20 odd years.
Also managed to fall asleep in an upright position in Wolverhampton. Has to be one the the most memorable moments in darts
Sadly missing from the clips on YouTube.
A glorious moment.

dartvader

Post by dartvader » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:15 pm

He's lived off it ever since, that tournament is very much looked at with rose tinted glasses by some his performances were 80% bang average, to suggest he'd have beaten Taylor over world final distance is ridiculous

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:18 pm

dartvader wrote:
He's lived off it ever since, that tournament is very much looked at with rose tinted glasses by some his performances were 80% bang average, to suggest he'd have beaten Taylor over world final distance is ridiculous
Some would have you believe he'd have beaten him in 09 as well.

dartvader

Post by dartvader » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:28 pm

Randall wrote:
dartvader wrote:
Nobody in the history of the game could've lived with Taylor in 09 what was it 111 average in the final? Would Ted have won a leg with his 90 average I wonder.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:31 pm

dartvader wrote:
Randall wrote:
dartvader wrote:
Nobody in the history of the game could've lived with Taylor in 09 what was it 111 average in the final? Would Ted have won a leg with his 90 average I wonder.
Part in the 01 final got what? Two legs.
107 and 70% checks.

Barney annihilated in 09 averaging a ton.

Taylor got it done, and he'd have buried Ted either year.

dartvader

Post by dartvader » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Randall wrote:
dartvader wrote:
Randall wrote:
dartvader wrote:
Part in the 01 final got what? Two legs.
107 and 70% checks.

Barney annihilated in 09 averaging a ton.

Taylor got it done, and he'd have buried Ted either year.
If we're going on form at the time only Fordham and Barney the year after would have had any chance at all.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:38 pm

My thoughts exactly.
Fordham wasn't close at the showdown before he retired due to fatness.

dartvader

Post by dartvader » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Randall wrote:My thoughts exactly.
Still would have had Taylor a fairly clear favourite against both but you could make a case for them running him close I guess although didn't Taylor spank Barney at that masters of darts event in 05 as well as winning 'the showdown' the year before?

PT13

Post by PT13 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Mabbsy wrote:Bring back King Eric, tells it how it is :D , good shout with Manley though.
It still annoys me that Bristow was sacked.
Randall wrote:Did anyone ever overachieve as much as Manley?
Two world finals and was only ever a mid 90s average plodder.
His one dart fame was never really backed up either.
I don't know what you remember, but Manley was damn good on the floor in the late 1990s and reached the World Championship and World Matchplay finals in 1999. He had a few years after that where he mostly struggled on TV after moving from Cheam to Cumbria, but got his form back eventually and remained a solid player until 2008-2009. Considering his confident persona, his expertise at mind games, and his combination finishing, he underachieved if anything.
Randall wrote:In the same way as Ted though?

I remember him refusing to shake Taylors hand after one of his raping, and the dust up with Lewis, but not much actually on the board.
Manley was the best pantomime villain, and he could certainly handle the crowd a lot better than Hankey. Hankey often flew off the handle completely and self-destructed, and at other times was totally disinterested and chucked his darts away. Manley seldom self-destructed apart from that refused handshake after the 2002 World Championship final, and the quip he made at the 2008 World Championship before he faced Shepherd when he said "Kirk has been a lucky boy so far, with opponents missing match darts against him. If I get a chance, I won't miss", before Manley then missed 2 match darts and Shepherd beat him.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:42 pm

dartvader wrote:
Randall wrote:My thoughts exactly.
Still would have had Taylor a fairly clear favourite against both but you could make a case for them running him close I guess although didn't Taylor spank Barney at that masters of darts event in 05 as well as winning 'the showdown' the year before?
Think he played barney twice at the masters of darts.
4-0 in the groups and 5-2 in the semi if my memory serves.