cricket thread

Life would be boring without it!
Randall
Site Admin

Re: cricket thread

Post by Randall » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:22 am

There are so many truly woeful test teams around the world now.
Even an average England team of the 80s 90s would be world beaters.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:28 am

Randall wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:22 am There are so many truly woeful test teams around the world now.
They weren't terrible in the Test matches.

But 50 over cricket is in a strange place right now. You need more Test batsmen as if you pick too many T20 players it can go horribly wrong.
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:36 am

T20 is killing the real game
Ruins technique and mindset

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:44 am

I think it's killing 50 over cricket quicker than Test cricket.

Outside of the World Cup every 4 years no-one gives a fuck.

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:49 am

The last 6 Windies wickets fell for 15 runs today

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:51 am

Captain Hobo wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:44 am I think it's killing 50 over cricket quicker than Test cricket.

Outside of the World Cup every 4 years no-one gives a fuck.
3 and 4 day test cricket loses so much

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:40 am

Randall wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:22 am There are so many truly woeful test teams around the world now.
Randall wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:36 am T20 is killing the real game
Ruins technique and mindset

KingBinglin

Post by KingBinglin » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:59 pm

Captain Hobo wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:17 pm
On the second, I think that is just the nature of 'Bazball'. It looks brilliant when it comes off and rubbish when it doesn't.
The British media made it out to be 'smash the leather off the ball every ball' which has stuck a little I think it's more about playing positive cricket and looking for a result. Not sure many teams will have ever experienced the environment that Stokes / McCallum want to create. Reading the youngster talk about how supportive the dressing room is and I'm interested to see the long term impact.

KingBinglin

Post by KingBinglin » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:07 pm

If I had to lose a format, it would be 50 overs. At the recreational level, 50 overs works fine. About long enough for most non-pros (although those last 10 overs in the field can really drag) and gives bowlers / batters a chance. First class / international I think it's done.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:05 am

KingBinglin wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:07 pm If I had to lose a format, it would be 50 overs. At the recreational level, 50 overs works fine. About long enough for most non-pros (although those last 10 overs in the field can really drag) and gives bowlers / batters a chance. First class / international I think it's done.
It's only hanging on because of the World Cup every years. As long as draws big money for TV rights, the ICC won't kill it.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:14 am

KingBinglin wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:59 pm
Captain Hobo wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:17 pm
On the second, I think that is just the nature of 'Bazball'. It looks brilliant when it comes off and rubbish when it doesn't.
The British media made it out to be 'smash the leather off the ball every ball' which has stuck a little I think it's more about playing positive cricket and looking for a result. Not sure many teams will have ever experienced the environment that Stokes / McCallum want to create. Reading the youngster talk about how supportive the dressing room is and I'm interested to see the long term impact.
There has to be a balance between attack and defence though, and you must pick the right moment to attack.

I don't think Joe Root's effort in the 2nd innings just gone was the right moment for instance.

The fact is that a cricket coach will be judged by results. England under McCullum failed to win a Home Ashes. The rest of this Series will be very important for the future of Baz I believe.

KingBinglin

Post by KingBinglin » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:26 am

Captain Hobo wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:14 am

There has to be a balance between attack and defence though, and you must pick the right moment to attack.

I don't think Joe Root's effort in the 2nd innings just gone was the right moment for instance.

The fact is that a cricket coach will be judged by results. England under McCullum failed to win a Home Ashes. The rest of this Series will be very important for the future of Baz I believe.
If it was football, Baz would be under huge scrutiny, but I also think Southgate, he has his distractors (less of) but, we are so lets be calm and delay the national blood for now. Also, it's India! Who wins there!

First point, totally. At the moment, I think they have it 'better' with the bowlers but the batting is ?? I like Duckett but Root has is lost. Pope is a modern Hick/ Ramps.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:33 am

KingBinglin wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:26 am

If it was football, Baz would be under huge scrutiny, but I also think Southgate, he has his distractors (less of) and an calm the national blood for now. Also, it's India! Who wins there!

First point, totally. At the moment, I think they have it 'better' with the bowlers but the batting is ?? I like Duckett but Root has is lost. Pope is a modern Hick/ Ramps.
I'm surprised he's not under more pressure already. I just looked up what's ahead and 3 Tests at home against the Windies and Sri Lanka should bump up the win rate and have HJ creaming his pants about Bazball again.

The Ashes is less than 2 years away so that will be D-Day for him.

KingBinglin

Post by KingBinglin » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:35 am

Captain Hobo wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:33 am

It's not football and we win a few!

Are you a 'fair dinkum' or a 'pom'?

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:41 am

KingBinglin wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:35 am

It's not football and we win a few!

Are you a 'fair dinkum' or a 'pom'?
Aussie

KingBinglin

Post by KingBinglin » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:34 am

I may have said before' my all said hero is Marshall; Cummings has that vibe.

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:14 pm

Nissanka 210 unbeaten in Sri Lankan innings v Afghanistan ODI

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:46 am

Virat Kohli: India batter to miss rest of England Test series

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/68234342

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:54 am

Missing their best player and talisman for the whole series Is a killer for them
Top order is terrible without him

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:28 am

KingBinglin wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:26 am

If it was football, Baz would be under huge scrutiny, but I also think Southgate, he has his distractors (less of) and an calm the national blood for now. Also, it's India! Who wins there!

I'm surprised he's not under more pressure already. I just looked up what's ahead and 3 Tests at home against the Windies and Sri Lanka should bump up the win rate and have HJ creaming his pants about Bazball again.

Silverwood also couldn't win a home Ashes playing 'proper cricket' tbf, at least this time around we were more convincing. The current 'lack of balance' is getting more out of the team than us playing 'proper' cricket tbf, Crawley would still be in the team averaging about 22 if asked to play like a 'proper' Test opener, and the young inexperienced spinners have definitely benefited recently from the faith shown in them, rather than just being shunted out of the attack at the first opportunity. Just as we'll likely get a free pass in the event of India beating us convincingly, which is still the most likely outcome, (helped by the fact that nobody cares as much about away series played at the crack of dawn on channels nobody has) I think Baz and Stokes will be safe as long as we put up an improved showing Down Under. Say if we lose 4-1, so what? Can we be reasonably expected to beat you lot in your back yard when we've not even got close since 2011?